n+1 is seeking a full-time Managing Editor to work in our Brooklyn office starting February 1. Compensation is $56,000 and includes health and dental insurance.
n+1 is a print magazine of literature, culture, and politics published three times a year. Founded in 2004 with a mission to revive the tradition of little magazines, it has since published more than forty issues, launched two book imprints, maintained an online companion to the print magazine (nplusonemag.com), and hosted programs and events across New York City. It has been called “a lively, stimulating magazine of rare intellectual scope” and is recognized as one of the most influential literary publications in the US. We’re looking for a managing editor who is passionate about n+1’s mission, keyed into its sensibility, and invested in building the editorial future of the magazine. n+1 and all its programs are run by the n+1 Foundation, a 501c3 not-for-profit.
The Managing Editor will:
1. Oversee and execute the production of three print issues of n+1 a year:
- Set the editorial calendar and hold others to deadlines
- Coordinate between several parties—editors, authors, copyeditors, et al—to ensure the timely publication of the print issue
- Supervise n+1 interns’ fact-checking and proofreading
- Move drafts through stages of production
- Typeset articles in InDesign
2. Be an active member of n+1’s editorial team:
- Read submissions and respond to pitches
- Edit at the conceptual and line level
- Assign and commission pieces
- Participate in editorial meetings and discussions
3. Provide support in the n+1 office:
- Participate in planning and executing magazine events, discussions, parties, and fundraisers
- Participate in hiring n+1 interns
- Help with ad hoc administrative tasks and all around pitching-in
Applicants should have:
- Minimum three years of magazine, book publishing, and/or newspaper experience
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
- Fluency in Google Drive and Google Sheets
- Copyediting and proofreading skills
- Excellent written communication
- A natural tendency toward organization
- A knack for collaborative / group work
- Some management experience
- A demonstrated ability to take pieces from pitch stage all the way to publication
- An affinity for n+1 and its projects
Familiarity with Photoshop, WordPress, and HTML are strongly preferred.
n+1 is committed to a diverse workplace and is an equal-opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com before January 7, 2022.